Thursday, June 4, 2009

Henry Benson and the Rebuilt Heads

Several months ago I posted a Craigslist ad for anyone to forward messages from Nigerian scammers to me. I had one reply. His name is W.D. I really don't know what his full name is, but he has sent me about 5 messages. This is the first one to bite for any length of time.

Their scam is pretty stupid, but people fall for it all the time. The scammer shows interest, wants to pay with a "certified check", and will send a "moving company" or someone else to pick up the item (this will never happen). They "accidentally" send a check for THOUSANDS more than the cost of the item and asks you to cash it and mail the extra back to them.

The problem is that the certified check isn't worth the paper it's printed on. You cash it, send the money back. Approximately 2 weeks later, the bank is breathing down your neck telling you to return the money.

Characters
Scammer: Henry Benson
Me: W.D. Xavier Wellington III

Here's our story...
_________________________________

From: henry benson
Subject: Re: HO 2.8 L GM V-6 Rebuilt Heads - $100 (Rockland) Reply
To: "W. D."
Date: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 9:55 AM

Thanks for the prompt response. I have instructed my
account officer to mail (overnight) a certified
check, while you hold this item for me. Let me know
when you receive the check and I will have my mover
will come pick up at your place. Please forward me
the following info so I can issue your check . . .

1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address(Physical as Ups does not deliver to P.O.Box}
3.Your phone number.

** Please note that I will overnight the payment,and
you should receive it tomorrow. I appreciate you
holding this for me. Please delete the posting as I
am definitely buying it from you and it would be sad
for me to have the payment in the mail only to be
informed of the its sale also am deaf and will like to be contacted via
email.**

_________________________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: henryisbenson1@gmail.com
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2009 3:19:31 PM
Subject: Re: HO 2.8 L GM V-6 Rebuilt Heads - $100 (Rockland) Reply

Henry,

AWESOME!!!! Man, you are rocking my world!!! It's nice to meet someone who knows quality car parts...like YOU.

I'm sorry to hear that you are deaf. It must be tough. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't hear stuff. My favorite band is Whitesnake. They totally rock!!! Sorry.

Of course I bet it's nice not hearing dogs bark all night long. And, I bet you can get a SWEET deal on real estate near airports (let me know if you know of any).

Anyway, I'm afraid that I will not remove the Craigslist post. I have posted these heads 3 times because the first two people didn't pay. Knowing that you are going to overnight a check to me makes me feel very comforted, but I consider them yours. Don't worry.

Here is my information:

1. Full Name: W.D. Xavier Wellington III
2. Mailing Address: 99 Berlin Street, Rockland MA 02370
3. Phone Number: 508-580-0600 (this is the number where I work. Only call this in an EMERGENCY)

Make sure to tell your mover that these heads are currently stored at a local parts store (they did the work for me) and not my house! I would hate for them to waste a trip.

Don't worry about me selling these bad-boys to anyone else. THEY ARE YOURS!!!

W.D.

_________________________________

From: henry benson
To: W.D. Mason
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 1:25:11 PM
Subject: Re: HO 2.8 L GM V-6 Rebuilt Heads - $100 (Rockland) Reply

Hi ,how was your day ?I want you to understand that the deal is on and my secretary as posted the payment promptly, but there was a little problem which i guess we can handle with care while i contacted her to confirm if the payment as been mail out she said my boss issued a single check of $3100 for your item and other items bought.The payment was already posted before i was inform about this but i wouldn't want this to delay the sale. All you do once you have the payment is to take it to your Bank and have it cashed and you will then deduct the money for your item plus $100 for your running around. The excess fund on the payment will then be wired to my mover via moneygram that same days so that he can come for pick up as i already plan on using the excess on the payment to offset the cost of the various shipments he as undertaken on my behalf.Do let me know if i can trust you to have
the excess sent to my mover thank you,best Regards.

_________________________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: henry benson
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:01:06 PM
Subject: Re: HO 2.8 L GM V-6 Rebuilt Heads - $100 (Rockland) Reply

Henry,

$3,100?!? I don't know about you, but if she were MY secretary, she would be fired on the SPOT! I can see a mistake of $50 or $60, but $3,000!?! That's not a simple slip of a comma or decimal place.

I'm sure a man of your mechanical expertise feels the same. I mean, if we were to rebuild engines with that kind of neglectfulness, they would NEVER run...right? Heck, the other day, I was replacing my muffler bearings (they were completely worn). If I had put in the 47's instead of the 572's who knows what would have happened.

You know what I mean?

Was your secretary taking drugs? I heard of one guy who had a secretary snorting caffeine. She was running around the office barking like a dog and pee'ing on the rugs for 3 hours!

Henry, you have been an honest man with me and I can only imagine how upset you must be. If you don't want to worry about the fallacious check. I can simply rip the check in half and send it back to you. Then you can write me a new one.

Let me know. I really don't want you to worry.

W.D.
________________________________

From: henry benson
To: W.D. Mason
Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 7:29:37 AM
Subject: Re: HO 2.8 L GM V-6 Rebuilt Heads - $100 (Rockland) Reply

please all i want now is the trust can i trust you with the excess fund pls bear with me she has been fired already ............all i wan to hear is that as soon as you get the check cashed send the rest to my mover pls hear me out despite the fact that i am deaf i really need your help thanks again for your concern you have been so kind to me


REGARDS
_________________________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: henry benson
Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 10:23:44 AM
Subject: Re: HO 2.8 L GM V-6 Rebuilt Heads - $100 (Rockland) Reply

Henry,

Calm down my friend.

I'm happy to hear that you have fired your secretary. Like I said, this mistake is excessively costly for you. If I were some criminal (which I'm not), I could simply walk away with the extra money (which I won't). You are VERY lucky that I am a man of honor and goodliness.

I have not received your check yet, but I will definitely let you know when I do.

By the way, how did you become deaf? Was it an accident? Were you burned with acid or something? Did you get mauled by some coyotes or mountain lions? I only ask because I consider us to be friends and I want to learn more about you.

I have a medical condition too. It is something that has caused me great hardshipness for my entire life. It's called Hypoxanaxemia. My doctor says that it's a form of anxiety (he also calls it a Xanax deficiency). You see, I am afraid of...killer robots!

I know it sounds weird, but did you watch Battlestar Galactica?!? They had killer robots called CYLONS!!! Every TIME I saw a commercial for the show, I would literally throw-up and faint!

I don't know if you have ever done that, but it's really messy, because I like to eat. When I would pass out, I would always land in my puddle of puke! Nasty.

Anyway, I just wanted to make you feel better. I know you are concerned about the check. And, you were concerned that I would steal the money (which I would never do to you, because you are my friend). And, I can tell you are upset about being deaf.

I'll keep you informed about the check.

Your friend,

W.D.
_________________________________

Author note: I didn't hear back from him. I want to check his resolve. By the way, they LOVE the phrase "in good faith".
_________________________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: henry benson
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 9:23:33 PM
Subject: Re: HO 2.8 L GM V-6 Rebuilt Heads - $100 (Rockland) Reply

Henry,

I have not received the check. Do you want these heads or not?

I have been COMPLETELY honest with you and have conducted myself in good faith.

Please let me know if you want them. I would hate for you to be the third person to jilt me.

Also, since I consider you to be my friend, please let me know how you became deaf.

Sincerely,

W.D.
_________________________________

From: henry benson
To: W.D. Mason
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:45:52 AM
Subject: Re: HO 2.8 L GM V-6 Rebuilt Heads - $100 (Rockland) Reply

Hello W.D. Mason
I will like to let you know that i really appreciate your been honesty and your understanding i will like to inform you that the check has been mail out to your location already look -out for the package any moment from now i will be going to the UPS office right now to know what is going on with the package pls kindly bear with me thanks for reply and i will await your response ......


Regards

HENRY
_________________________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: henry benson
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 12:55:03 PM
Subject: Re: HO 2.8 L GM V-6 Rebuilt Heads - $100 (Rockland) Reply

Henry,

No worries.

You have also been honest with me. That is why I consider you my friend.

Oh, one thing I forgot to tell you. My neighbor and I do NOT get along at all. It's a long story concerning a lawn mower, his girlfriend, and a can of Delmonte creamed corn.

Anyway, he has been stealing my newspaper and I think he has been intercepting UPS and FedEx packages sent to me too. If UPS says something is wrong, let me know.

I'm just waiting on the proof so I can really get him!!

Just let me know.

Sincerely,

W.D.
_________________________________

I hope to add more, but I have to wait on him.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work Tim. Annoy these assholes as much as possible. Your posts are hilarious.

    W.D.

    ReplyDelete