Monday, June 29, 2009

Helen wants to buy her son a laptop

This is a pretty short episode with a scammer. My friend W.D. gave me the message shortly after he got the response. Clearly this dingbat didn't have a great grasp of the english language, so he kept trying to use the universal language of numbers to try to get his point across. I just wanted to test his resolve and see how far I could keep him going.

W.D. was selling a laptop on Craigslist and since computers draw out the scammers like moths to a flame, he was inundated with messages of easy sales paying far more than the asking price.

Characters
Scammer: Mrs. Helen Smith (a loving mother)
Me: W.D. Mason

Here's our story...
_______________________

From: Helen Smith helensmith85@live.com
Subject: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)
To: sale-635fj-1227844155@craigslist.org
Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 5:29 PM

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

please get back to me with the last price of the item and the condition of it

_______________________

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:31:40 -0700
Subject: Re: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)
To: helensmith85@live.com

The price and condition are listed in the post.

_______________________

From: Helen Smith helensmith85@live.com
Subject: RE: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)
Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 12:34 PM

Dear,
Thanks for your reply.
The price is ok by me,I reside in salt lake city in utah, but i needs to purchase for my son that is traveling for his international studies.I want to give him a suprise package for his birthday that is coming up.I would have come to pick it up myself but because of the distantance and nature of my work.Pls if you do have a paypal account,provide it to me so that I will Make the payment to you Or your full contact address if you wish to receive the money through money order.I will be paying you the total of $200 for both the cost price and the shipping...[Please i need the information fast so that your payment will reach you before the day runs out to enable you ship the Package fast.
Thanks for anticipation


_______________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: helensmith85@live.com
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 10:44:13 AM
Subject: RE: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

Dear Helen,

Please consider the computer yours! I simply LOVE surprises - especially International, Birthday, Craigslist surprises!

I completely understand how you cannot meet face-to-face. Salt Lake City is QUITE a distance to drive. ha ha.

I'm embarassed to say that although I am a seasoned Craigslist user, I have yet to create a PayPal account. I have read very good things about it AND I would prefer to avoid money orders (Craigslist is always telling you to avoid them). Please do not take this personally because I DO trust you! ho ho.

Before you pay for the computer, I need to know the address I am going to ship it to. I'm a little concerned about the cost of the shipping. I'm fairly confident that $80 will cover most destinations, but I won't be sure until you send me the address and I can verify with my shipper. I'm sure you understand.

Also, will I be shipping this to you or your son? It may make more sense to send it direct, so you aren't paying twice. If so, I will add a small birthday card from you in the box. I'm sure he will love it.

I know you want this transaction to complete quickly, but I feel it's important to cover all of the bases so your son has a wonderful birthday.

Just let me know,

W.D.

_______________________

From: Helen Smith
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 1:56:51 PM
Subject: RE: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

please send me your paypal account for the payment. the item will be shipped to nigeria and i hope $80 will cover every thing

_______________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: Helen Smith
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 4:12:39 PM
Subject: Re: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

Helen,

Thank you so much for your response, but you haven't answered any of my questions. I did gather that you want to ship the computer to Nigeria. That's a start.

I did some checking and I'm afraid that shipping the laptop to "Nigeria" is going to cost anywhere from $150 to $350 depending on location, shipping method, carrier, etc. So, you see, I need the full address, and $80 is NOT going to cover the entire cost.

I really don't want you to pay more than you have to. But, believe me when I tell you that THIS computer is worth EVERY penny though! To be honest, I really hate parting with it. My Grandma "Bertie" bought this for me as a Birthday gift (I was her favorite). She said to me "I want you to download as much music as you can with THIS computer...just don't get caught!"

Two weeks later Granny Bertie died. I'm afraid it might have been my fault though. I made her a mix with 'Nine-Inch-Nails', 'Stabbing Westward', 'The Red Hot Chili Peppers', and 'Yanni'. The police said that she had the headphones on and her hand was clutching her heart. I felt bad, but I know that "Granny Bertie" is ROCKIN' OUT IN HEAVEN!!!

Anyway, I also asked whether you would like me to put a card in the box for your son. If so, what is his name? I would be more than happy to do that for you.

So, to recap...

1. I need the address. Once I have that, I can give you the total cost - including shipping.
2. $80 is NOT going to cover the shipping costs.
3. What is your son's name? I need this to put on the card.

Please get back with me so I can ship this to your "son" for his "birthday".

Sincerely,

W.D.

_______________________

Author note: I was not kidding when I said that the cost of shipping a computer to Nigeria would cost anywhere from $150 to $350. I almost fell out of my chair when I found out.
_______________________

From: Helen Smith
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:20:31 AM
Subject: RE: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

ok i understand. just let me have your paypal account for the payment. i will pay the total of $370 and i hope it will cover everything .get back to me soon.

_______________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: Helen Smith
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:44:29 PM
Subject: Re: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

Helen,

Clearly we are not on the same wavelength. I am asking questions, but you're not answering them.

If you want the computer, you MUST answer my questions and be a little more sociable.

I'm going out on a limb here and you're not helping me. If you do not wish to help me, that's fine, because I have a LOT of people interested in my computer who are willing to meet me face-to-face.

Help me help you.

W.D.

_______________________

From: Helen Smith
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:10:07 PM
Subject: RE: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

Please the item is going to be shipped to Nigeria (WEST AFRICA) and i said $150 will cover for the shipping and after the payment i will send the full contact address to for the shipping via usps express mail. Remamber i will be paying you $370 USD send me your paypal account please if you really want to sell the item

Best regards.

_______________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: Helen Smith
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 9:32:45 PM
Subject: Re: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

Helen,

I am well aware of the location and your desire to purchase my computer.

However, you have not told me your son's name. Nor, have you told me what you would like the birthday card to say.

As I have also told you, this computer means a great deal to me and I want to know that it is going to go to a good home, with a good user, with a good heart.

So far, you have done nothing but tell me how much money you are willing to spend.

I need to know more.

Like I said, help me help you,

W.D.

_______________________

From: Helen Smith
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 8:37:21 AM
Subject: RE: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

i dont need a card i only need the laptop

_______________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: Helen Smith
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 4:52:06 PM
Subject: Re: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

Helen,

What are you talking about!?! This is YOUR son!!! Every child should have a card on his birthday!!!

You're breaking my heart!!!

W.D.

_______________________

From: Helen Smith
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:27:06 PM
Subject: RE: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

ok there will be a card calculate the ammount

_______________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: Helen Smith
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:32:44 PM
Subject: Re: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

Helen,

Wonderful!! I am so happy to see that you are a loving "Mother".

Before I calculate the total amount, what would you like the card to say?

Please be specific.

W.D.

_______________________

From: Helen Smith
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:06:37 PM
Subject: RE: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

I WILL LIKE THE CARD TO SAY. HELLO SWEET HEART THIS PACKAGE IS FROM YOUR SWEET LOVING MUM FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY GIFT.

_______________________

From: W.D. Mason
To: Helen Smith
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:34:22 PM
Subject: Re: Compaq Laptop with Windows XP - $120 (Rockland)

Helen,

I have a tear in my eye right now. What a lovely message for your son. What is his name? I would like to put his name on the card too.

If you like, I'll send you a scanned copy of the card I include. I'm sure you will like it.

W.D.
_______________________

Author note: At this point poor Helen figured that her son did NOT deserve a computer.

7 comments:

  1. I got the exact same first email but from a man wishing to send his son the laptop. He was living in Utah and he could not come and get it himself because he lived so far away. Once I found out that he was expecting me to ship my laptop to Nigeria the bet was off. Seeing that my computer is worth $300 why would someone spend $400+ to ship it somewhere else... very weird. Good on you for figuring out the scam!! I hope more people do the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It also happened to me.
    I'm from Brazil. I don't know how he found me.
    My computer worths lije $ 400,00. He was paying me like $1000,00 + shipping.
    Wierd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got one too. I canceled my paypal request after some internet searching, though I did say I'd get a signature confirmation from USPS. How can they scam paypal?

    -------

    Dear __
    I got your mail.
    The price is ok by me,I reside in Utah but needs to purchase for my Son that traveled to West Africa for his international studies,he is with his Father who was transferred to work at the united states embassy in west Africa and i want to send him a birthday gift because his birthday is coming up soon..I would have come to pick it up myself but because of distance and nature of my work as a medical doctor at Mormon Tabernacle Choir extension in South Utah,my days are always busy.Pls if you do have a paypal account,provide it to me so that I Make the payment to you.Or your full contact address,full name,zip code,city,state and your country aswell if you wish to receive the money through money order,i can send it straight to your residence.I will be paying you the total of $275 for both the cost price and the shipping...[Please i need the information fast so that your payment will reach you before tomorrow to enable you ship the Packages fast.
    Thanks for your understanding.


    Dr Jennifer..
    Jennifer Thompson jenniferthompson10@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to whoever did this. I am selling my iPad and got the exact same message.. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here,

    Thanks Dear,

    The price is ok by me,I reside in Utah but needs to purchase for my Son that traveled to West Africa for his international studies,he is with her Mother who was transferred to work at the United States Embassy in west Africa and i want to send him a birthday gift because his birthday is coming up soon..I would have come to pick it up myself but because of distance and nature of my work as a medical doctor at Mormon Tabernacle Choir extension in South Utah,my days are always busy.Please if you do have a paypal account,provide it to me so that I Make the payment to you Or your Full name,Full contact Address,City,State and Zip Code if you wish to receive the money through money order,i can send it straight to your residence.I will be paying you the total of $350 for both the cost price and the shipping...[Please i need the information fast so that your payment will reach you before tomorrow to enable you ship the Packages fast.
    Thanks for your understanding.
    Dr Steve Marvets..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was selling an iPhone and got this message:

    The price is ok by me,I reside in Utah but needs to purchase for my Son that traveled to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for his international
    studies,he is with her Mother who was transferred to work at the United States Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and i want to send
    him a birthday gift because his birthday is coming up soon..I would have come to pick it up myself but because of distance
    and nature of my work as a medical doctor at Mormon Tabernacle Choir extension in South Utah,my days are always busy.Please
    if you do have a paypal account,provide it to me so that I Make the payment to you Or your Full name,Full contact
    Address,City,State and Zip Code if you wish to receive the money through money order,i can send it straight to your
    residence.I will be paying you the total of $490 for both the cost price and the shipping...[Please i need the information
    fast so that your payment will reach you before tomorrow to enable you ship the Packages fast.
    Thanks for your understanding.
    Dr Steve Marvets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I just got the same experience, today.

    I listed my item on Amazon for sale. The scammer contacted me via email to say that he'll add $100 to the listing price for shipping it to his colleague, and requested me to create an invoice in PayPal to send to him. After I did that, I got email notifications that look like to be sent from paypal.com. However if you pause your cursor on the sender, it's showing an address from something@post.com instead. That's the trick! They sent you an email notification that looks like payment already has been transferred to you, but it has not. Check the balance in your Paypal account to verify.

    That got me suspicious and did a search 5 min ago to find lots of such cases. The truth is DO NOT ever accept more money for what you listed an item for, and never ship to Africa, and always request the buyer to purchase the item from where it is listed.

    =======================
    Here's the initial msgs that I received from the scammer.
    =======================
    [msg 1]
    I will like to know the condition of this laptop before i make the purchase mail me back on tjinstallers at yahoocom i want to purchase it now.

    [msg 2]
    Thanks so much for being sincere,the item is for my colleague as a gift but she's currently on vacation so i want you to help me post it to her,i'll add $100 for the postage,send me the invoice of the total cost through PayPal to tjinstallers@yahoo.com so i can transfer the money asap.

    [He's getting anxious]
    Hi,
    I just transferred the money through PayPal and i got a confirmation in my email and i have been billed please let me know if you also got the payment and make sure you help me ship it out first thing tomorrow morning through USPS Express Mail International(Local Post Office) to the address below shipping won't cost more than $90

    Name........James Adams
    Address......45 Sanya Street,
    City............Mushin
    State.........Lagos
    Zip code......23401
    Country.......Nigeria



    You'll notice that the friend he had referred to as "her" intially became a "he" on the shipping address.

    ReplyDelete